Florence FULLARD (nee SCHOLES)
The numbers refer to the approximate time that the topic starts on the recording.
Mills existing between 1929-1939 with brief comments – on route from Summerseat via
Ramsbottom to Stubbins
Summerseat – JAMES ASHWORTH-cotton blankets ‘island’ in middle of village – a bleaching area J.HOYLE & SONS at Brooksbottom. Three chimneys.
Workers came by train from Bury or by tram from Walmersley and walked down the hill, or from Ramsbottom or Tottington.
Holcombe Brook – CHARLES AINSWORTH & SONS – bleachers and dyers Big chimney Turning towards Ramsbottom and down lane on left was WOODHEY DYERS CO LTD
On main road on the right-WILLIAM HOLDEN- towel weaving He organised first ‘cotton queen’ in the 20s to boost sale of cotton.
Small squat chimney
J. SPENCER LTD- engraving firm. Octagonal Chimney 100 ft high built c 1800 BDA WORKS
Nuttall Village – independent place with two pubs, workshops, Cottage Hospital and Cotton mill with large red brick chimney nowhere near the mill OCEAN CHEMICALS surrounded by damaged trees.
Down Kay Brow to bottom- large number of mills COBDEN MILL-owned by WILLIAM ECCLES SQUARE WORKS – made muslin HOLME WEAVING CO with big chimney (seen in the distance) STRANG’S IRON FOUNDARY – very important SHEPHERD’S TOWEL MILL ROSE COTTON MILL
over the railway bridge – RAMSBOTTOM PAPER MILL with chimney 151ft dropped by 4ft in 1980 over river bridge left into Kenyon Street – number of mills including BRITTANIA WORKS owned by KAY SOAP Co had red brick chimney 120ft drooped by 3 metres in 1971 PEMBERTON COTTON MILL owned by people from Wigan, had a tall chimney THE GROVE MILL
LAWRENCE STEAD-cotton on Stead Street.
JOHN WOODS– cotton till 1918
Stubbins Lane towards Stubbins Under railway bridge on right – CUBA MILLS-made tubes for mills. Had 200 high stone chimney. Mill was 4 storeys high and had high irons gates.
Through Stubbins over river bridge on left – TURNBULL AND STOCKDALE.
Up hill on right – large house where mill owner lived CHATTERTON WEAVING CO- red brick – there till 1929.
Site of riot years ago by workers protesting against introduction of machinery. March to Elton in Bury joining with others there from WOODHILL MILL – at present site of BURY BOOT AND SHOE.
Back into Ramsbottom – up Carr Street – SPRINGWOOD MILL (later Old Mill Hotel) In Stubbins Lane CROMPTON MILL-SCAPA PORRITT
Most houses in area built from stone probably from (?)WILD’s Quarry, Shuttleworth.
Footnote – SUMMERSEAT PAPER WORKS. Large brick built chimney demolished after WWI
Summerseat supplied own gas. 2 gas works (at Brooksbottom and Railway Street) As a child she could still see their ruins.
1934 WILLIAM ECCLES of COBDEN MILL previous owned HOYLE WORKS at Hazlehurst – later slipper firm till war years
1929 Working in cotton mill changing bobbins. Description of life in the mill including piecing and sweeping the alleys Saturday mornings to clean and oil the looms Meals. Wage – 1st wage -seven shillings and sixpence- enough to buy a pair of clogs. Clogs essential because they did not slip on greasy floors. Town including mills lit by gas light.
World War11 experiences. Air raid – leaving mill by fire escape and sheltering in woods. Men/boys went to war-managed as best they could with help of strangers who were difficult to understand.
After war a lot of mills closed.
New section called “Part of our Heritage”
About the River Irwell and its bridges and flooding.
Flooding in Summerseat of Railway Street, Primitive Methodist Banking giving way near Twist Bridge Bridge to Island in middle of village. Bridge at Brooksbottom 1928 accident. Workmen hurt when wooden railway bridge collapses
Later railings between river and road on Waterside road collapse Wood Road – Wooden bridge.
Burrs – River wider here. Now a conservation area STARR BLEACH WORKS – important during WW1 Italian prisoners of war billeted here during WWII
Wooden bridge at Nuttall Village and Jacob’s Ladder. Railway
Peel Bridge 1936 floods affecting Kenyon Street, etc. Cricket field flooded. Course of river altered.
Stubbins-flooding under railway bridge – road lowered
River Irwell is 37 miles long – flows from near Bacup to Manchester Ship Canal
New section called “Past and Present
Places of Worship on route from Summerseat via Ramsbottom to Stubbins
PRIMITIVE METHODISTS next to CO-OP
ST WILFRED’S C of E (run from Christ Church, Walmersley in 1920s and later Holcombe Church). Later still church closed and became the village theatre.
ROWLANDS WESLEYAN METHODIST-day school next door
primitive Methodists and Wesleyan churches joined together for services/Whit walks
SUMMERSEAT LIBERAL CLUB taken over by ROMAN CATHOLICS
HOLCOMBE CHURCH with day and Sunday school and clock
HOLCOMBE BROOK METHODISTS
ST ANDREW’S CHURCH, NUTTALL LANE with day school and a lot of history Has a clock
CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, Dundee Lane (on left)
PRESTBYTERIAN CHURCH, Dundee Lane (on right)
RAMSBOTTOM PRIMITIVE METHODISTS, top of Kay Brow (used to unite with Primitive Methodists from Summerseat for services)
ST. JOSEPH’S CHURCH – had day school
PENTECOSTAL CHURCH, Carr Street
ST PAUL’S CHURCH – with clock. School nearby on Crow Lane. Gardens to the front
NEW JERUSALEM – on main road to Stubbins
PATMOS METHODIST – bottom of Peel Brow
MARKET PLACE METHODIST
ST PHILLIP’S at Stubbins – has day school
PARK CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH – on top road
Closures etc of places of worship
RAILWAY STREET METHODISTS, Summerseat. Closed as unsafe 1955
1932 merger of PRIMITIVE and WESLEYAN Methodists at Summerseat,
1939 extension to ST WILFRED’S. Later became a theatre
ROWLANDS WESLEYAN now demolished and graveyard reduced in size, school room then used for services
PRESTBYTERIAN CHURCH, Dundee Lane long gone.
In 1920 and 30s guides and brownies met there
RAMSBOTTOM PRIMITIVE – demolished – now gardens
BAPTIST CHURCH – now an industrial unit
NEW JERUSALEM – now grass verge with trees
PATMOS – now demolished
Side A: 41 minutes